FTC: We were not sponsored or compensated by Ollie in any way to write this post. All thoughts and opinions are ours, and we only review + advocate products we truly love!
Why We Switched To Ollie Dog Food
6 months ago, Lucy started having major stomach problems that required several vet visits to resolve. She has a history of stomach problems, and at the time, we were feeding her high quality, dehydrated human grade food. We hadn’t changed or introduced anything new to her diet, so we were confused about what triggered the stomach upset. Our vet suggested we do a hard reset of her diet. We went on the boiled chicken, pumpkin, and rice diet for a week in conjunction with a round of antibiotics. Things started to mellow out.
We took this opportunity to research new foods and diets. Since Lucy was getting older, we decided we wanted to feed her the best food possible! I started looking into homemade dog food recipes, raw diets, and various supplements. For a few weeks, I prepped her food based off of recipes I found online. Lucy was eating and feeling better than ever before, but I was still worried that I wasn’t giving her the right proportions of proteins and nutrients. It’s vital that you feed your dog a balanced diet.
I discovered Ollie through Instagram, and felt like this was the perfect time to give them a try. I’ve researched them in the past, but felt they were way out of my price range when compared to the old food we were feeding. However, once we decided to switch to a homemade diet, the cost of Ollie was easy to justify because the costs ended up being very comparable (your costs vary depending on your dog’s age, weight, activity level). Each of Lucy’s meals average to about $2.60-2.80 per meal, which is around the same price if we sourced and prepped her food ourselves. Each box contains 2 weeks worth of food (28 meals if you feed twice a day).
The biggest reason we love Ollie is because I could rest easy that the food provided was top notch quality, provided all the proteins and nutrients Lucy needed, and was also perfectly portioned. I no longer have to furiously source ingredients, measure, prepare, and portion out her food.
How Does It Work? (And Lucy’s Recipe)
During the sign-up process, you fill out a form about your dog with their details including age, weight, activity level, and allergies/sensitivities. For reference, Lucy weighs 24 lbs, is 10-11 years old, and has a normal activity level. Once your form is completed, Ollie generates recipes and calculates the right portions for your dog.
Ollie offers a few different options to choose from including chicken, beef, and lamb based recipes. I researched a ton of other similar companies and looked into their ingredients, and saw that Ollie was the only one that offered a chicken recipe that included organs like chicken gizzard and chicken liver. It is important to include organs in a complete dog diet in addition to regular cuts of meat. Compared to muscle meat, organ meats are more densely packed with nearly every nutrient, including B vitamins such as: B1, B2, B6, folic acid and vitamin B12 so they are essential. (Source)
Here’s what’s in Lucy’s “Chicken Goodness” recipe:
chicken, chicken gizzard, carrot, green peas, chicken liver, chia seed, long grain rice, spinach, potato, egg, blueberries sunflower oil, dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, fish oil, iodized salt, cod liver oil, zinc gluconate, basil, rosemary, vitamin E, pyridoxine hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), riboflavin (Vitamin B2)
Our Ollie order arrives via FedEx, packed in a box with dry ice and insulated packaging. It’s recommended that you choose a ship date where you’ll be able to be at home to receive the package. Everything is prepared in a kitchen and no preservatives are added, so it is best to keep them frozen and store them as soon as they arrive. I store most of the trays into the freezer and defrost one by one as needed. I really like that the trays are all recyclable (no wasteful plastic baggies). Ollie also provides a reusable cover for storing your open trays in the fridge and scoop for the food. Ollie ships every 2 weeks, so we receive 7 trays in total to last 14 days (28 meals). It’s all fresh, fresh, fresh!
How We Feed Ollie
Lucy weighs 24 lb so she eats 1/4 of a tray twice a day (1/2 tray total per day). We also add a few supplements to Lucy’s food, including digestive enzymes, probiotics, and joint supplements. Preparation is super easy. We portion out her food, heat it up in the microwave for about 30-40 seconds, add a bit of water for extra moisture, and it’s ready to go.
Pros and Cons
- Lucy LOVES it. Lucy’s skin allergies have gone away, stomach issues are under control, and most importantly, she LOVES the food. This makes it all worth it, to be honest.
- Feeding REAL food. Knowing that all the ingredients are thoughtfully sourced and high quality gives us peace of mind. We never have to worry about proportions because we know that the meals are providing her all the nutrients she needs.
- Amazing customer service. They’re incredibly responsive to emails and calls. We’re able to customize, pause, delay at any time without question and were never “upselled” in any way during the process. The team truly goes above and beyond to keep their pupstomers happy and tummies fed.
- Eco-friendly and recyclable packaging. No wasteful plastic bags.
- Easy preparation. We save a lot of time by not having to measure, source, and cook ourselves.
- The cost. If you are switching from kibble to Ollie, this will be a drastically different price point. However, Ollie has tons of referral programs available so you’re able to bring your cost down. You can also mix Ollie with your existing food to keep costs down but still integrate real food into your dog’s diet.
- Freezer space. The majority of our freezer space is reserved for Lucy’s food. Not a big deal, but something to keep in mind. 🙂
Want to try Ollie for 50% OFF?
While we were not compensated for this review, Ollie did generously offer us a referral link so you can also try Ollie for 50% OFF your first box. I’m super excited to be able to share this with you all! We’ve recently recommended Ollie to several of our corgi friends, and they only have positive things to say.
We truly love this company and could not recommend them enough. Here’s the referral link!
GET 50% OFF YOUR FIRST BOX: myollie.com/try/corgithings
Have you tried Ollie? What were your experiences like? Leave them in the comments below!